Macey’s Italian Adventure!

Marzo 29th, 2018

A couple of years ago I heard about a venue in Italy that was not only producing big fish, but lots of them. So, loving a new adventure and having a few weeks in the 2018 diary yet to be filled, I decided to commit to the 2000 mile round trip and get myself down there for a week.

The drive was long and started off nice and straight forward, that was until we hit the “Beast from the East” snow storm across Northern France. Doing 20 mph on a motorway behind a snow plough for over 100 miles with major road closures took some doing but eventually, after 20 hours door-to-door we arrived at the little Italian town around the corner from the lake, and stocked up with a weeks’ worth of food and drink. Snow and freezing cold nights were forecast, so there were no worries about storing meat for the week… I was more worried about defrosting the stuff!

For the first night I simply cast three solid bags in the general direction of where the fish apparently hold-up in the swim I was in, but by the morning – even with driving wind and sleet in my face – I know a change would be in order. So I decided to cast two rods to the far bank and tie the line off, so there were no line at all running through the swim, just the 15-to-20ft coming back from the banksticks running down the steep shelf I decided to target. By using the Cygnet Baiting Pole, every time I redid a rod I knew it was bang on the money!

This change kick-started my action with a trio of upper 30s that were soon followed by a great looking kipper of 48lb 8oz. The first big girl is always a relief, as by now I was 100% confident I had found a spot that could, and would, do a few more chunks. I slowly started to tick-off a few more fish, including my biggest of the trip at 58lb 8oz – a carp that was magnificent in every way, but I was beginning to wonder why all my bites seemed to be occurring during the day where as everyone else was getting night bites. Given the choice I would MUCH rather have day bites but I knew that if I could get a night spot going also, then a decent hit and a few bigguns would be on the cards. With that, I decided to take one of my open water rods and explore the swim a little more. No more than 45 minutes later I had a 49lb in the net… no it wasn’t a night bite but the move was well rewarded!

58lb 8oz and the biggest of my trip.

This 49lb mirror proved my instincts were right to search out another spot.

That night the new spot did me two bites after dark and the older spot also produced another. My target was getting very close, I could just feel it!

I was on 19 fish with two days remaining, with my top four biggest weighing 42, 48, 49 and 58. I was hoping that in the last 48 hours just one more lump would grace my net, however, on the penultimate morning and within half-an-hour of each other I had experienced a bite of both margin rods! The first pulled the scales round to 52lb on the nose and the other round to 56lb 8oz, and that was me done!

What a way to end a session – 56lb 8oz from my margin spot!

Nigel Botherway once said to me “Always save one bite for the next trip” and so by putting the rods away early and letting a friend join in on the action, I hope that is exactly what I have done.

If the rest of the year goes like this one trip then ill be a very happy man come Christmas!


Trakker gear used during my session:

Armo V3 Bivvy 2-Man

Levelite Oval Wide Bed

Hydro 42″ Landing Net

EQ 42″ Carbon Landing Net

Armolife Complete Cookware Set

N2 Chest Waders

Core Multi-Suit

Leave a Reply